Why We Fundraise
Why do we fundraise for breast cancer cures?
- Because 1 in 8 women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
- Because in 2017, 1446 women in North Carolina died from breast cancer
- Because every 19 seconds, somewhere in the world, a case of breast cancer is diagnosed in a woman.
- Because in 2017, 10,353 cases of breast cancer were diagnosed in North Carolina
- Because every 60 seconds, somewhere in the world, someone dies from breast cancer; every 13 minutes, one woman in the U.S. will lose her life to breast cancer.
- Because in 2017, 110,300 are living with breast cancer in North Carolina
- Because breast cancer knows no boundaries. It affects people of every age, gender, socio-economic status and location.
- Because at the current rate, 13 million breast cancer deaths will occur around the world in the next 25 years.
- Because it’s time to go beyond breast cancer awareness. It’s time to take action!
We can fight these statistics together. Join the breast cancer movement by fundraising for Race for the Cure®.
Your fundraising has the power to make a true impact. Just consider how far we have come, thanks in part to supporters like you:
- Race for the Cure® has raised more than $2 billion to help fund research, education, screening and treatment.
- In 1980, the 5-year relative survival rate for women diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer was about 74 percent. Today, that number is 99 percent.
- In North Carolina, over $14.5 million has gone to local Community Health Grants in our local 29 county service area to provide funding for education, treatment, and assistance.
- Since our founding in 1982, Susan G. Komen’s national research program has invested in cutting-edge research that has helped make major breakthroughs possible.
- Funding for discoveries in genetics and biology has led to personalized, less-invasive breast cancer treatments to replace the less-effective “one-treatment-fits-all” approach.
Race for the Cure® is your opportunity to turn your support for the breast cancer movement into action. Prove that you are More Than Pink™, and help us end breast cancer forever.