Why We Fundraise
Why do we fundraise for breast cancer cures?
- Because 1 in 8 women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
- Because every 19 seconds, somewhere in the world, a case of breast cancer is diagnosed in a woman.
- Because every 60 seconds, somewhere in the world, someone dies from breast cancer; every 13 minutes, one woman in the U.S. will lose her life to breast cancer.
- Because breast cancer knows no boundaries. It affects people of every age, gender, socio-economic status and location.
- Because at the current rate, 13 million breast cancer deaths will occur around the world in the next 25 years.
- Because it’s time to go beyond breast cancer awareness. It’s time to take action!
Did you know that we can't do this without your help?
Did you know... Komen East Central Texas does not receive financial support from Komen HQ?
Did you know... Komen East Central Texas is only able to support the women and men in our area through fundraising dollars? (Registration fees ONLY allow us to have the Race, by paying for event branded items (t-shirts etc.), venue fees, insurance, city event fees, etc).
Did you know... In 2017 an average of $6.17 was raised or donated per participant?
Did you know... If each participant that did not donate had given just $10, that would have provided $17,800 to assist the under-insured and un-insured women in our area. That's an additional 119 mammograms that could have been provided in East Texas.
Did you know... Due to increased numbers of under-insured and un-insured women in our area, combined with declining donations and fund raising, each year our grantees run out of funds.
Did you know... How much we needed your help? This year we challenge all participants to fund raise or self donate (even if it is just $10) to help us help those who are or will go through what you have experienced.
We can fight these statistics together. Join the breast cancer movement by fundraising for Race for the Cure®.
Your fundraising has the power to make a true impact. Just consider how far we have come, thanks in part to supporters like you:
- Race for the Cure® has raised more than $2 billion to help fund research, education, screening and treatment.
- In 1980, the 5-year relative survival rate for women diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer was about 74 percent. Today, that number is 99 percent.
- Since our founding in 1982, Susan G. Komen’s national research program has invested in cutting-edge research that has helped make major breakthroughs possible.
- Funding for discoveries in genetics and biology has led to personalized, less-invasive breast cancer treatments to replace the less-effective “one-treatment-fits-all” approach.
Race for the Cure® is your opportunity to turn your support for the breast cancer movement into action. Prove that you are More Than Pink™, and help us end breast cancer forever.
Register or log in to fundraise today!