Start a Team
To get started, follow these simple steps:
- Step 1 Select the team captain. The captain must register first and create the team before members can join.
- Step 2 Choose a team name and team division that best describes your team. During registration, designate whether you are a friends and family, corporate or school team.
- Step 3 Invite friends, coworkers and family to join you! Email, Facebook or tweet everyone you know and invite them to race and fundraise with you.
- Step 4 Set up your team web page. After you register, log in to your Fundraising Center to add a photo of your team, set a fundraising goal and tell everyone why you race for the cure.
Each team member can fundraise on their personal Facebook page! Friends will be able to read your story, watch your progress and donate – all without ever leaving Facebook, helping the team to build momentum and reach their goals faster.
Team Captain Checklist
After you register, it’s time to recruit your team and start fundraising. Here are some tips to get started:
- Make a donation of any size to show your commitment and kick off your fundraising efforts.
- Set a goal for the number of people you will recruit for your team.
- Display event materials, such as brochures and posters, around your office, campus, cafeterias, break rooms, gyms, and other high-traffic areas. Include your name and contact information so people can easily get involved.
- Host a kickoff meeting or event, and invite the Susan G. Komen® staff to make a presentation.
- Send fundraising tips out to all your team members and highlight the team’s top fundraising member.
- Create fundraising incentives for your team members to encourage them to meet or exceed their fundraising goals.
- Remind team members to log on to their fundraising pages to record all offline donations and send thank-you notes.
- Post a progress chart with your fundraising and recruitment goals in a visible area and update totals regularly.
Every dollar you raise brings us closer to a future without breast cancer. And when you race with a team, you amplify your impact. How much will your team add to the movement?
Once you have your team in place, there are two ways to raise funds:
- Each team member asks their friends, family and coworkers to make a donation. Visit our Fundraising 101 page for tips on personal fundraising.
- Your team works together to host a fundraising event. Download our 101 Fundraising Ideas for fun and easy team fundraising events.
The ultimate reward for your fundraising work is knowing that you and your team made your mark in the breast cancer fight. Set your goals high, and be sure to visit our Rewards page to see how we celebrate our top-performing teams.
How do I learn more about forming a
Call our Race headquarters at 760-692-2900 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are Breast Cancer Survivors
Yes, if you register for the Race and tell us you want to be recognized, you will receive a beautiful pink t-shirt. You will also be invited for breakfast that day – and will get to bring along one guest.
Do I have to collect pledges in
order to join the Race?
It’s not mandatory – but it is strongly encouraged. Your Race Registration fee gets us to the start line – it’s your fundraising that helps us win the Race. Up to 75% of every dollar raised stays here in San Diego County to provide everything from free diagnostic mammograms to mortgage payments and meal delivery. Even $10 extra – the cost of two lattes at Starbucks — would help us help uninsured women in San Diego County.
Where do I turn in my pledges?
First off, make sure all your pledges are marked with your name and/or your Team Name. Send them to: In Motion Events/Race for the Cure, 6116 Innovation Way, Carlsbad, CA, 92009. Or, bring them on Race Day (Sunday, November 5). You’ll find a pledge drop-off in the Registration Tent.
What is Sleep in for the Cure?
If you don’t want to get up to join the Race – sleep in! Select that registration type and we will mail you your participation packet, along with a shirt, door hanger and you can sleep at home while we walk.
How many people does it take to make
up a team?
We ask that you have a minimum of 10 people on your team. But the sky’s the limit! The bigger the team the better.
Can someone be added via the website to a team after the deadline of Oct 28?
Individuals can still sign up with a team – even on Race Day – and participate with the Team, but they will not be included in the packet pickup.
What is the final date to register?
You can register the day of the Race! Race day registration opens at 6:30 a.m. On-line registration closes at midnight on Wednesday, November 1.
Where do I send registration fees or
Send them to: In Motion Events/Race for the Cure®, 6116 Innovation Way, Carlsbad, CA, 92009. Call them at 760-692-2900.
Who do we make the check payable to?
Write checks to: Susan G. Komen San Diego®, in the memo line — be sure to put the Race individual’s name and/or team!
When and where is Team Packet Pickup?
- Monday, October 30, 2017
Jerome's Furniture San Marcos
780 Los Vallecitos Blvd., San Marcos, CA 92069
Monday, October 30, 2017
2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 1, 2017
Jerome's Furniture San Diego
1190 W Morena Blvd, San Diego, CA 92110
Wednesday, November 1, 2017
11:00a.m. to 7:00p.m.
Where do we meet on Race day?
Teams who reserve the team Meet & Greet tent can use their tent as their meeting location. For all other teams, you’re welcome to meet wherever it is convenient. 2017 Team Tent Reservation Form.
Where do we park on Race day?
There is parking on the east side of Balboa Park in the Old Naval Hospital parking lot at Park Boulevard and Presidents Way. There will also be parking along Park Boulevard and in the lots behind the Organ Pavilion and the Hall of Champions. Shuttle bus service to the Race will be available from 6 a.m. to 7:45 a.m. Buses will pick up from Presidents Way and Park Boulevard. Return shuttle service after the Race will be available from 4th Avenue and Laurel back to the team parking area from 8:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
Are inline skates, bikes, scooters,
skateboards, or strollers allowed at the Race?
For the safety of all participants, inline skates, bikes, scooters and skateboards are not allowed at the Race. Strollers are fine; however, we ask that those with strollers start the Race toward the back of the pack.
Who do I contact if I have Race
Call In Motion at 760.692.2900 or send an email to email@example.com