Where your money goes
The more money we raise at the 2020 Komen Maryland Virtual MORE THAN PINK Walk, the more of an impact we’ll make to support loved ones affected by breast cancer. When you take action and fundraise, know that your dollars go on to fight breast cancer on all fronts.
Susan G. Komen is uniquely structured to fund four pillars — research, care, community, and action. These focus areas work to find a cure, comfort and support those living with breast cancer, and advocate for access to care for all.
Our MORE THAN PINK Walk dollars fund life-saving research.
- We help facilitate research to better understand, prevent and treat metastatic breast cancer
- We fund the discovery of new treatments to improve patient outcomes
- We ensure more loved ones get access to and participation in clinical trials
2600 research grantsgiven in 47 states and 21 countries
$988 millioninvested globally in research — more than any other non-profit
70 percent of Komen’s most recent research funding investment was focused on metastatic breast cancer and treatment resistance
- We help communities address gaps in care
- We increase access to screening, diagnosis, and treatment
- We provide access to transportation, childcare, and more so those living with breast cancer can focus on treatment
15,000 calls/emails to the Komen Breast Cancer Helpline
442 Community Health projects last year included free or low-cost screening services
$500,000 in direct patient financial support through the Treatment Assistance Program
- We create opportunities for Komen supporters to share their passion for the movement and compassion for each other
- We support survivors, caregivers and those living with metastatic breast cancer
- We provide information and guidance to help navigate the care journey
75,000+ Komen volunteers across the U.S.
$37.4 million in funding for community grants in 2017
235 community grantsthat help provide patient transportation
- We advocate for more research funding and protections for patients
- We educate healthcare providers, policymakers, opinion leaders and the public on the burden of breast cancer
- We empower patients and the public to take charge of their breast health
400 congressional meetings at our most recent advocacy Lobby Day
4 key advocacy priority issue areas around access, funding research, ensuring coverage and access, and removing barriers to treatment
What this means for Maryland
Funds raised help support Komen’s work to save lives through breakthrough research, advocacy and to support patients, including through Komen’s Breast Care Helpline, Clinical Trial Information Helpline, Treatment Assistance Program and other direct patient support services.
- 1,028 free or low-cost breast cancer screenings
- 88 free or low-cost diagnostic services
- Financial assistance to 64 individuals
- 736 navigation services
- 8,445 instances of breast cancer education